Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Advance classes in Bikram

I know that I have been delinquent in posting the past month and it's because I really got busy with work and the kids. Anyway, I started taking advanced classes in Bikram last month and the first time I tried it I must say that every muscle in my body was hurting the next day! My body was so sore that even if my spine was hurting a bit from the deep back bends I couldn't feel it that much since the pain from my muscles beside it were overpowering the pain in my spine and preventing me from bending my back anyways.

So how was the class? It was hard! I must say that I was disappointed in myself that I didn't do that well with the arm balances because that used to be one of my strengths when I was practicing ashtanga. I must say that I absolutely hate the finger stands. In a nutshell, I felt heavy or maybe I'm just weaker now =( 

I did better in my next advanced class but I still have such a long way to go. Most of my postures need refinement and I really need to strengthen my arms and core more. The posture that I am most afraid of is the handstand. I don't know why I fear it more than backbends when in fact I should fear the other one more because of my injury. I love headstands but handstands seem to have an adverse effect on me, I don't really know why because I used to do a lot of this when I was in high school. Hhmmm....

I have also decided to start practicing ashtanga again even if it's on my own to develop my arm and core strength again. I started this last tuesday and since my left wrist is a bit sore, I wasn't able to do the whole series. My practice got surprisingly better at some points tho because I guess Bikram has helped me soften up and gain flexibility because of the heat that we undergo in every class. I am excited to see how the combination of ashtanga and bikram will change my practice =)

No comments:

Post a Comment