Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Shin Splints

My shins have been hurting a bit lately because I've been jumping a lot when I do my plyometrics. I had shin splints years and years ago when I was into all that body combat in Fitness First and I decided to join a marathon so that was my first time to really feel the pain in my shin.

My shins have been hurting a bit but it's not so bad. Anyway, I decided to look at the wiki pedia term for shin splints and I found that it is:
"The term shin splints refers to pain along or just behind the shinbone (tibia) — the large bone in the front of the lower leg. The medical term ismedial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS). Shin splints occur during physical activity and result from too much force on the shinbone and connective tissues attaching muscles to it. Shin splints are common in runners and in those who participate in activities with sudden stops and starts, such as basketball, soccer or tennis; along with sports that apply extreme pressure to the legs, such as gymnastics. Ten to fifteen percent of running injuries are shin splints.Treatment of shin splints includes rest, ice, and non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Ice helps to reduce inflammation as well as the steroids which is what causes some pain. Rest is the best way to treat shin splints as this gives the shins the full time necessary to heal. This can be a couple weeks in mild cases up to about 3 months for severe cases. Acute therapy options for treatment include physical therapy modalities such as ultrasound, whirlpool baths, and electrical stimulation."


I think that I only have a very mild case but I thought I'd just share what I learned =)

No comments:

Post a Comment