Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Finding the right balance

I used to be the type of person who goes all out on thing or workout. I was once hooked in Fitness First's body combat. I loved the cardio workout that I got plus I moved my whole body so it was the total body workout for me. The problem with me getting addicted to a workout was that I would be addicted to it for months or years then get burnt out and move on to a new favorite.
In 2008, I started to practice Ashtanga Yoga and I got hooked on it and even took up teacher training only to end up injuring my back so badly that no matter how hard I tried to get better I always ended up injuring it again and again. It truly was a frustrating time in my life and as I was still trying to come into terms with my condition, I got pregnant with my second child and I moved far away from my studio.
Looking back I think I needed the break in order for me to refocus and stop pushing my body when it wasn't ready yet. Nowadays, I have learned to mix my workouts so that I don't get burned out with one and instead I mix things to help me strengthen my body to prevent my old injuries from coming back.
I now do bikram to help me deal with my back. I am trying to go back to basics and I'm allowing my body to slowly open up for all the back bends. Taking a long break from yoga when I got pregnant and after giving birth, my mind has somewhat been "noisier" and harder to calm down. This is something I need to work on and even if I feel that I'm struggling with it, I do feel that I'm slowly improving but I'm still not as focused as I used to be.
I also do weights to help me increase my muscle mass and tone my body. I know that I'm getting older so I need to add more muscle to help me increase my metabolism and look leaner instead of flabby. My personal trainer in Gold's Gym also makes me do plyometrics to add more cardio to my workout. I truly dislike jumping so much but I know I need to increase my cardio because I can hardly run intervals now. I'm still finding my perfect mix of workout but I'm slowly finding my body's balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment