Friday, July 15, 2011

Day 16 of the 30 day Bikram Yoga Challenge

When my alarm went off at 5am, I just stood up. I did not pay attention to how tired I was because I didn’t get much sleep or how fatigued my body was from my double class yesterday. I just got ready and drove to the studio.
I found out that Ginger was teaching so I knew we’d be in for a truly good morning in the studio (sarcasm injected here). Don’t get me wrong, I love Ginger but for the past few days I’ve been feeling the weight of the challenge. I’ve noticed that Ginger has really been making it a point to hold postures for at least a minute long this whole week. I guess she’s trying to make us push ourselves harder.
I was struggling mentally for the first 30 minutes of class because I was resenting the fact that it was 6am and I couldn’t get a break. However, something inside me changed and I dared myself to put my anger and frustrations into my practice by working harder. Instead of getting irritated I simply gave in to each and every posture even if it meant that my whole body would be shaking or falling out from trying so hard.
I was happy and relieved when we got to the floor series. Whenever we come to the floor, the postures that I dread the most are the ones in the spine strengthening series. I mean, it really just takes soooo much effort in each of the postures just to be able to lift up any part of my body so I knew that I just had to get through this last hurdle and then I’m good. When we reached to full locust pose, Ginger has managed to surprise me again by asking me to demo the posture in class. I couldn’t do anything but laugh and get into the posture—yes with my legs shaking from the effort I put in. Being asked to demo something in class is a lot of pressure but it’s not the worst thing I’ve had to do. The good thing about doing it is that I actually get to hear what I do right in a certain posture so I guess it balances things out.
I was ecstatic by the time we finished kapalabhati. I was done! I was actually supposed to practice some postures from ashtanga but after that workout, my body was protesting and telling me to just do it another day so I laid down and tried to rest for over two minutes.
Today, I’m really just thankful that I was able to finish the class without giving up.
Day 17 coming up tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment