Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 8 of the 30 day Bikram Yoga Challenge

We had a unique practice today because Omar made us face the back wall the whole time. This means that we had no mirrors to use to guide us in gauging our postures. Prior to me taking Bikram, I practiced Ashtanga and in Ashtanga we really were made to look at the drishti's warranted from each posture so I was used to not relying on the mirror before.
This was a different experience because each of the Bikram's gazing point is usually with your eye in the mirror and since it's been quite a while since I practiced not looking at myself, I did get a bit challenged when it came to concentrating especially when I could see the person in front of me falling. It was quite distracting and harder to be grounded. 
During the course of this 30 day challenge, I have noticed that I have starting perspiring more than my usual practices and I noticed my towel is more slippery now because it's drenched with my sweat. I asked Ginger and Omar if this was normal when we undergo the challenge and they said yes plus it's also because my body tries to cool itself by excreting more water out. 
I have noticed that I seem to have lost some weight so I stepped on the scale and I did lose about 2.5 pounds. I really wasn't trying to lose weight and I haven't modified my diet so I don't know what is actually taking place in my body but I'm happy that I have tightened up a bit more and that my back doesn't feel as flabby as it was before. I hope this keeps up--it would be an awesome effect to this grueling challenge =)
We had a potluck lunch after the morning practice and we at so much. The food and the company was great. It's wonderful to have a support system especially now that we're undergoing this challenge. It's also a good feeling to get to know people more. I feel like we're really becoming a community in the studio. Today, I'm thankful for BYA. I have regained my personal balance and confidence once again because of my teachers and friends in the studio =)
Here are some photos taken during our potluck


2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you!! What a big surprise to not have a mirror!!! At first "freak out" !!!! But after I settled my mind that we had to go through for 90 mins, it turned out to be better. I guess there was less pressure but then again I don't know -- more concentration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a different way of practicing where you have to tune it to your body more =)

    ReplyDelete